Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Dietitian Mom's Worst Nightmare

My child is a picky eater. No, scratch that. My child doesn't eat vegetables. Nor does he eat fruit. Dietitian's worst nightmare? Yes. I don't know how to fully explain to you what this does to my self moral. I mean I teach kids and adults the importance of healthy foods on a DAILY basis. I teach the food guide pyramid and my child sits at home with his father eating graham crackers, cereal, oatmeal, cheese, and of course the all time favorite food-black beans (which technically is a starch, protein and VEGETABLE!!). I'm probably exaggerating a little bit here... he does eat applesauce, raisins, and craisins and drink 100% juice- which are all technically fruits (in higher sugar form). He also eats salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and beans of all types...and please don't ask me if a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. In my house, beans and tomatoes are considered vegetables. I have learned a trick or two in how to trick my child into eating veggies... 1. Homemade vegetable soup. He loves it...and eats it without picking out tooooo many veggies.  2. Fried Rice with mixed veggies....he ate a few peas and carrots too.

BUT I need everyone to celebrate with me....because my child, my sweet little boy, ate some canned (rinsed and drained, of course) PEACHES on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!! He ate almost the whole can, and to make the day even better, he actually put a banana in his mouth. Of course, the banana lasted about 3 seconds, but he attempted to eat it, and that my friends, is progress!!

We won't go into the tiny little detail about how if I was a stay at home mom that my child would be offered fruit and veggies with every meal consistently. No, we won't spend any time discussing how my stay at home husband could better please his Natzi Dietitian Wife.  Instead, we will celebrate that a breakthough has been made. Grayden ate peaches. And LOVED them.

4 comments:

Kara Graves said...

haha, this made me laugh so hard. My child will not touch anything meat flavored or the color green. If he sees it, he starts fake gagging. :)

Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna said...

Have you tried hiding things in a quesadilla? I spread sweet potatoes and black beans on a tortilla and then bake it so it's crunchy. You could hide all kinds of things in there! I'm proud of Grayden for eating a peach! :)

Ashlee said...

Hilarious! I can literally hear you telling that story--sign of a good author.