Monday, August 29, 2011

Our New Addition: Reed Emerson

My last post was written during my hospital bedrest. 4 days later, our lives were blessed beyond what we thought was possible. 4 days later at 7:30 pm, I was taken into the OR for an emergency c-section. At 8:04 pm on April 14th, 2011, Reed Emerson was brought into the world. 3 1/2 weeks premature with lungs not fully developed, he spent his first week of life in the NICU. It was a rough go for Rob and I, seeing our sweet baby boy with so many tubes and machines. But Reed was a tough little man and I think he knew how much Rob and I needed him to be okay, and he fought to come home only 6 days later. Of course, we know that God was the healing hand and we thank Him and Him alone for the safe arrival and health of Reed. We thank our friends, family, doctors, nurses, and all of those for their prayers, concerns, and support during everything we endured. I am in awe of all the blessings God has blessed us with...

And now... now, 4 1/2 months later...still BLESSED. Reed has brought so much joy into our lives. I thought our family of 3 was more than we deserved, but now...this family of 4? Wow, how can I describe the love that my heart feels for my sweet boys? Grayden loves his brother and Reed adores his big and older brother, who loves to sit and stare at him, making silly faces, smiles, and talks to him in baby talk. I can't believe how much Grayden loves him and he is constantly telling us "I love baby Reed". My heart explodes when I hear him say that. :)
Reed is growing fast. He was born at 5# 10 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. He is now 12# 13 ounces and 23 inches long. His weight is still at the 3rd percentile and his length is at the 3rd percentile as well. He laughs all the time these days and likes to "talk" whenever talked to. He's a pretty good sleeper, sleeping mostly through the night. He's a bit more fussy than Grayden was, but I think he's just going to be my cuddler. He rolls from front to back using his strong leg muscles. And he is not a big fan of the carseat...so car trips are not our favorite.


I'm back to work now...after a 4 month leave. It was hard coming back, but thanks to a fabulous manager, I'm able to work my schedule and only work 4 days/week. I'm off Fridays. I never thoguht that an extra day would really be much different, but wow. What an extra day makes...to have 3 total days to spend with my boys makes a world of difference.

I'll leave you with pictures, pictures of our sweet, sweet, family of four. And if time allows from my busy life of loving my boys, I'll try to update more often...

These pictures are totally out of order... sorry for that. :)


Jen meeting Reed for the first time

Sweet boys.

Reed is 2 months!

7 weeks old

Jen and Reed (2 weeks old)

Love this boy!

Just an ordinary day.

Reed Emerson in the NICU on all his tubes.







This is us, 6 days later, getting ready to take our sweet boy home!
Reed at 6 weeks old


Grayden getting a good look at his brother. I love this picture.
I found the boys sitting together one day.
Reed at 5 weeks old





3 months old
Family pictures are rough these days. At the Aquarium in Gatlinburg
The Hartman boys. Reed was around 4 weeks in this one.

Grayden's first time holding him Or should I say, that he ASKED to hold him. Reed is 4 months here.

Rob and I at a wedding in Ohio with Reed. Reed is about 2 1/2 months in this one.

Jen and the boys.

Grayden wanted Reed to sleep in his bed with him.

4 months old

My first time holding Reed

Sweet boy...making progress! Less tubes. 2 days old.

Rob's first time to hold him.
Bringing Reed home!

I also wanted to add a link to our latest family pictures we had made: Thanks to the awesome Zach Gastineau for his mad photography skills! :)


No comments: